“VietChallenge” in these Rules and Regulations means the Organizing Committee of the VietChallenge 2020 Competition, which is hosted by the Association of Vietnamese Students and Professionals in the United States, a U.S. 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation in coordination with VietChallenge Joint Stock Company, a Vietnamese entity.
VietChallenge Regulations 2020
1. Screening Round
- Any team competing in the VietChallenge competition (“competition team” or “team”) must have at least two members throughout the whole duration of the competition.
- Each competing team must have at least one member of Vietnamese citizen or of Vietnamese descent, or have a prepared plan to expand its business to Vietnam.
- Except otherwise provided by VietChallenge, all team members must be at least 18 years of age.
- The competition is open to applications in all industries.
- There is no limit to the number of applications a team can submit.
1.2. Entry Materials:
1.2.1. Mandatory Materials:
- Each competing team must create and submit an online entry form via the plaform jong.ventures and submit the following materials:
Submit a pitch deck in the form of a slide presentation file. The pitch deck shall address all of the following questions:
What market does your team address?
What is the problem in that market?
How big is the market?
How does your team address the problem? What is your business model? How will the business make money?
Why is your solution better than the existing methods?
Have you built a prototype, run a pilot or acquired customers?
Your team profile (relevant expertise): Please list the names and roles of all co-founders in your team and give brief details about each co-founder's relevant experience and education.
Submit a one-to-three-minute video pitching the team’s business idea, and
Fill out the application form requested by VietChallenge.
1.2.2. Optional Materials:
Competing teams may submit other documents and materials in support of their application. However, VietChallenge reserves the right to disregard any material deemed irrelevant to the business plan proposed.
1.2.3. Unless otherwise agreed with entrants: VietChallenge has the right to publish and distribute competing team’s Entry Materials, Mandatory Materials, and Optional Materials, including for purposes of promoting the competition or showcasing its participants to VietChallenge’s investors and the public, as well as training purposes, including featuring these materials on the investment platform jong.ventures. If a team does not want VietChallenge to publish and/or distribute its Entry Materials in any manner, it shall inform VietChallenge of its request via our email at email@example.com. VietChallenge retains the right to approve or reject such request.
1.2.4. All materials have to be in English.
- Teams and members of teams that won the first places in past VietChallenge competitions are not eligible to apply. Other past finalists are eligible to compete in the Vietchallenge 2020 with projects that are different from the projects submitted for the competition the year they were finalists.
- Startups and businesses that have raised a total amount of more than US$ 1,000,000 (one million US Dollar) in all funding rounds prior to March 15, 2020 are not eligible to compete in VietChallenge 2020.
1.4. Conflicts of Interest:
- Volunteers, judges, mentors, and Members of the Organizing Committee of VietChallenge 2020 and Direct Relatives of the Members of the Organizing Committee MAY NOT apply. Direct Relatives means spouses, parents, children, and siblings whether by blood, adoption, or marriage. The list of the Members of the Organizing Committee, as may be updated from time to time, can be found at www.vietchallenge.org/our-team
- VietChallenge 2020 Screening Round begins accepting applications at 00:01 a.m. U.S. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on March 21, 2020. The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on June 15, 2020. No late submission shall be accepted and VietChallenge only accepts applications that meet all the requirements from the above sections 1.1 to 1.4.
- Interviews for Screening Round will start on June 20, 2020.
- The result of the Screening Round will be announced on July 15, 2020. VietChallenge will select 20 teams to advance to the Semi-Final. For the Semi-Final round, any number of teams from each industry can be selected.
- If there is any change to any of the date listed in this Regulation due to unforeseen circumstances, VietChallenge reserves the right to make necessary and will provide notices to participating teams in advance.
1.6. Mentorship Program
- VietChallenge will provide an opportunity for all the teams entering semifinal to participate in the First- Round Mentorship Program. Six teams entering the VietChallenge 2020 Final Round will also participate in a subsequent Final Mentorship Program. Through these mentorship programs, competing teams receive feedback and recommendation from experienced business mentors to improve their business ideas and plans. Each team’s progression throughout the mentorship program is also a factor that maybe considered by judges in the overall assessment of the entrepreneurship projects.
- Details of the mentorship programs will be updated before the result announcement of the respective rounds.
2. Semi Final Round
2.1. Up to twenty (20) semifinalists will participate in one of the two Semi-Final sessions as assigned by Vietchallenge.
September 12, 2020: The first 10 teams
September 19, 2020: The remaining 10 teams
3. Final Round in Vietnam
3.1. Final Mentorship Program: Details of the mentorship program for six (6) teams eligible to compete in the Final Round will be provided within 15 days from the date of announcement of the result of the Semi-Final Round.
3.2. Final Round:
- The Final Round of the Competition will be held virtually on October 10, 2020. If a team withdraws from the Final Round or is disqualified from continued participation in the competition, VietChallenge will replace such team with a team from the pool of semi-finalists at our discretion. VietChallenge will assist finalists outside Vietnam with accommodation and travel expenses on a case-by-case basis and depending on available resources.
Each finalist shall have 15 minutes to pitch their business ideas in front of the Board of Judges and the audience of the VietChallenge Final Round:
5 minutes shall be allocated for pitching and demo showcase; AND
10 minutes shall be allocated to Q&A
Each team is required to submit documents they plan to present at the Final Round no later than October 5, 2020. Any late submission shall not be accepted unless otherwise decided by VietChallenge.
4. Vietnam Startups Championship in America
5. Obligations of the Finalists
6. Awards and Stipends
6.1. The winner of VietChallenge 2020 in Hanoi will receive a cash prize of US$15,000. Each of the remaining five finalists will receive a prize of $1,000.
6.2. The winner of Vietnam Startups Championship in America will receive a cash prize of US$10,000.
6.3. The net value of each cash prize, after deducting all applicable taxes and fees under applicable laws, shall be made via check or bank transfer to each team within 1 (one) year from the date of the Final Round. Each contestant is obligated to provide in full proper documentation, at VietChallenge’s request, for the transfer and payment of these prizes as required by law.
6.4. The finalists of VietChallenge 2020 will be introduced to Republic.co, a US securities crowdfunding platform, and upon satisfaction of due diligence requirements and other conditions of Republic.co, may have an opportunity to be featured and raise funds on Republic.co.
7. Intellectual Property
VietChallenge takes no part in and has no liability for the domestic or international intellectual property rights of competition participants.
- Participants are responsible for their own intellectual property.
- Participants must keep confidential information confidential.
Except that competing teams will grant all rights and title of photographic and electronic reproduction of the team’s projects pitching within the context of the competition to VietChallenge.
VietChallenge reserves the right to disqualify participants who engage in immoral activities, including lying and cheating, or any activity that may harm or adversely affect the image of VietChallenge or other participants.
All work and submissions of each entrant must be original to the entrant/team.
10. Compliance & Disqualification
All participants must comply with the rules. Any violation of the rules will disqualify a competing team from the competition, and result in forfeiture of any awards awarded to the team.
11. Updates and Amendment
VietChallenge may update the competition rules throughout the competition. All updates will be posted on the VietChallenge website at www.vietchallenge.org/regulations from time to time. These Rules include by incorporation any material posted on the VietChallenge website; in the case of conflict, the Competition Rules & Regulations supersede any other materials.
In light of the ongoing global pandemic in 2020, it is possible that the regulation will be significantly amended in accordance with the development of the situation. VietChallenge will issue prompt notice incase any changes is to be made. However, it is well advised that all competing teams regularly visit VietChallenge’s website to be informed of the most current updates.
12. Governing Law
These Rules and Regulations shall be governed by the laws of Massachusetts. Any dispute between VietChallenge and a participant shall be resolved amicably by both parties. Each party has the right to submit the dispute to a competent court of Massachusetts only in case both parties have failed to amicably reach an agreement to resolve the dispute within 180 days from the date of the dispute